Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: (Q) wireless networking classroom cheating examples

From: stanislav shalunov <shalunov () INTERNET2 EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:27:03 -0400

"Bruhn, Mark S." <mbruhn () INDIANA EDU> writes:

Frankly, I doubt that ECPA disallows jamming of the sort being suggested
for this context.

I did not think I mentioned ECPA.  Nothing in part 15 of FCC rules
(that is the part that authorizes the use of low-energy type-approved
radiocommunications devices) authorizes the use of such jammers.
Intentional harmful interference is generally not allowed.

It would be analogous to just unplugging the network so it isn't
available to users within the scope of that room.

The jamming of 2.4GHz can affect wifi networks nearby and operation of
cordless phones nearby.  To operate, the jammer would need to be
FCC-approved.  On the other hand, one can unplug networks with no
regard of FCC regulations since this generates no radio emissions.

ECPA would also allow monitoring of the traffic in that room as
well, in my opinion, if 1) there wasn't supposed to be any network
traffic emanating from that room anyway, and, more importantly 2) if
the people were told it was being done in advance.

That may very well be true, if you talk about wifi traffic.

I don't see how ECPA would be applicable to the case of monitoring
traffic of CDMA web-enabled phones.  Monitoring of traffic on cell
phone frequencies is generally not allowed by FCC rules as well (to be
compliant with this rule, radio receivers sold in the US often have
these frequencies blocked out).  Given typical cell phone output of
200-500mW, you'd be monitoring quite a bit larger area than a
room---an area comparable to a network cell size.

A classroom where an exam was being administered would not be a
public forum by any stretch, and I think the institution could
exercise complete control over the facility.

One can't run a jammer of 2.4GHz or listen to traffic on cell phone
frequencies even in the privacy of one's own home.

If one is to look for technological measures to counter exam cheating
that involves radio communications, jammers are not the answer.
Faraday cages might be (it might even be practical to outfit a special
room into one).  But the problem is not technological...

73, KC8VYT

--
Stanislav Shalunov              http://www.internet2.edu/~shalunov/

Clothes make the man.  Naked people have little or no influence on
society.                                             -- Mark Twain