Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Desktop patch management?

From: "Brian K. Dore'" <bkd () LOUISIANA EDU>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:37:19 -0500

Eoghan said:

Automatic delivery of patches using a local SUS server requires systems to
be in a domain.

I have to point out that this is not correct.  An SUS server provides the
update catalog and patches via anonymous HTTP connections.   The windows
update client is configured to use an SUS server by setting registry
entries. (can be a simple .reg file, a script, etc.)  We have a large number
of non-domain based clients updating from our servers.

Brian Doré

Office of Information Systems

University of Louisiana at Lafayette