Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Desktop patch management?

From: Christian Grewell <christian () NYU EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:28:38 -0400

Barry,

The short answer is no, you don't need to have users log into a domain. You can deploy SuS on windowsXP and 2000 (not
sure about NT 4.0) without an AD domain.

You'll likely be manually importing registry keys to usurp the windows update client (as opposed to using group policy)

You will need either 2000 server or 2003 server to run the SuS server.

The problem is your older clients are not going to be updated  in this environment - without a domain any advanced
functionality found in packages like SUS and SMS is lost.

Someone on the list had suggested a solution called Ecora (www.ecora.com) , altris is another one that may do what your
looking for (www.altris.com)

Hope that helps.