Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Desktop patch management?

From: Marty Hoag <Marty.Hoag () NDSU NODAK EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 09:33:54 -0500

Smith, Barry wrote:
Several have mentioned the use of Microsoft's SUS to deliver updates to
the desktop.  We currently have a mixed environment of NT 4.0 and Win
2000 servers but we have NOT gone to Active Directory.  I know that SUS
needs to be on at least a 2000 server.  Is it necessary to have Active
Directory going to use it?  Our clients include a very mixed bag of
everything from Win 95 to Win XPs.

   As Craig mentioned SUS doesn't need Active Directory but
as far as I know the only clients available are for Windows 2000
and XP (maybe 2003 as well?). Are there clients for the "older"
systems?

   marty