Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Desktop patch management?

From: Eoghan Casey <eco () CORPUS-DELICTI COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:05:13 -0400

Craig,

I am also interested in responses to this question for the purposes of the Effective Security Practices project. Most of the solutions that I have encountered do not address the "keep-your-hands-off-my-systems" situations that are common on higher education environments. For instance, commercial management software requires some access to deliver patches and change configuration. Automatic delivery of patches using a local SUS server requires systems to be in a domain.

The only legitimate* method that I have encountered that does not require access to the system is the UConn NetReg Scanner (http://security.uconn.edu/uconn_response.html). If a scan determines that the system is not patched, it does not get on the network.

* illegitimate = exploiting the vulnerability to apply the patch

Eoghan Casey
203-645-2774