Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Quick Review: Cyberwar as a Confidence Game by Martin C. Libicki

From: delchi delchi <delchi () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 05:39:11 -0600

"But in war more than in any other subject we must begin by looking at
the nature of the whole; for here more than elsewhere the part and the
whole must always be thought of together. "
-- Karl Von Clausewitz

Cyber-war is nothing more than a buzword designed to discuss a
specific type of war. In the end it's no more or less than saying that
you are engaged in a 'shooting war' , a 'tank war' or an 'air war'. As
each new technology emerges it finds it's way into war sooner or later
and creates a new type of warfare. Still at the heart of the matter
remains conflict between  opposing sides. I feel that the idea of
hacking being "as kinetic as a cruise missile" is spot on. Arguing
that a cruise missile can hit any target but you can block a hack is
short sighted. So you patched your systems against known attacks, but
you can't possibly protect against the unknown. A missile can be taken
down by  anti-missile technology  that you may not know exists until
the first shot is fired. In war, as in business, we keep tight to the
vest our best kept secret weapons ( both offensive and defensive ) and
only take them out when needed. Once used they are in the open, known,
and can be compromised. So even if you switch from Windows to Mac to
Ubuntu to TRSDOS at some point in the war someone will have or develop
a weapon tailored especially for you. Combine this with the
overwhelming use of technology in modern warfare and a simple hack can
destroy a target as effectively as a missile. The use of a emerging
technology as a weapon does not change the base nature or strategy of
war. It is nothing more than another tool in the arsenal. Warfare has
been revolutionized time and again with inventions like the crossbow,
gunpowder, the armored tank, and the airplane. Why should the art of
hacking be seen or treated any differently? Where is the difference in
pushing a button that launches a missile to exert kinetic destruction
on an industrial pant and a button that unleashes a piece of software
causing the machinery in the plant to malfunction & kinetically self
destruct?

The tools of war have been, and will continue to be, as diverse and
advanced as technology can provide, but they all maintain the same
base purpose.

( An equal truth is that "No plan of operations extends with certainty
beyond the first encounter with the enemy's main strength" (Helmuth
von Moltke). ... but we all know that one by heart )

,