Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Quick Review: Cyberwar as a Confidence Game by Martin C. Libicki

From: William Arbaugh <warbaugh () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:52:16 -0400

On Mar 21, 2011, at 1:48 PM, Ron Gula wrote:

Don't get me wrong - hacking, backdoors, denial of service, altering
messages, decrypting sensitive messages .etc all have their place. I
just think the categories are cyber intelligence, terrorism, espionage,
sabotage or crime but not "warfare".

Mike Hayden gives a talk where he starts with the traditional dimensions of warfare being land, sea, air, and space. He
adds that cyber is this new dimension where the laws of physics do not apply (as they do in the other dimensions), and
most don't yet understand cyber. I think he's right on both points.

Cyber can and I am sure has been used to "prep" the battle field much like the other dimensions of warfare, e.g. air.
Cyber can also, obviously, be used for other strategic and tactical purposes as others have mentioned here. I believe
that most (if not all) of the governmental discussion concerning cyber "war" are part of efforts to treat a cyber
attack under the same international laws that govern attacks from the other dimensions.

The efforts to treat cyber "war" similar to the traditional dimensions of warfare is the traditional way the legal
community deals with something new- reduce the new to something old.  Sadly, this doesn't work well in this case.