Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: The lack of hard questions

From: Charles Miller <cmiller () securityevaluators com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 18:05:49 -0500

First off, I'm not a MS hater.  I'm sure MS has security guys better
than many security experts, no doubt better than myself.  That is not
the point.  The point is, it only takes one or two of the best exploit
developers to make a reliable exploit and it is very hard to predict
what these guys can do.   (and I stand by my statement that MS doesn't
employ the BEST exploit developers - why would they?)  It seems to me
to be inherently unpredictable to predict how reliable a particular
vulnerability is.  For example, I'm sure MS was unaware that you could
defeat ASLR and reliably exploit IE bugs until Alex and Mark told them.
Charlie