Dailydave mailing list archives

The lack of hard questions

From: "Dave Aitel" <dave.aitel () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:21:15 -0400

There's probably a few BlackHat talks you didn't bother to read, and I
wanted to highlight a couple:
**1.
***Alex Ionescu*
https://www.blackhat.com/presentations/bh-usa-08/Ionescu/BH_US_08_Ionescu_Pointers_and_Handles.pdf

The bugs themselves are local DoS's (bluescreens) and Admin->Ring0 jumps,
but the methodology he used to find the bugs, and the win32k.sys internals
he discusses while explaining them are interesting. I quickly wrote one of
them up for CANVAS Early Updates, since you never know when Blue Screening
some box might come in handy.

2.
Secure the Planet! New Strategic Initiatives from Microsoft to Rock Your
World  *Mike Reavey, Steve Adegbite, Katie Moussouris*
https://www.blackhat.com/presentations/bh-usa-08/Reavey/MSRC.pdf

Obviously my favorite part is the slide with CANVAS. :> But I think it's
interesting that Microsoft is doing this stuff and I don't think people have
asked them the hard questions about it yet.  Also, those are quite cool
caricatures .

Recently Immunity's been tasked with something that requires the development
of a secure MSRPC application in unmanaged C++. When you start trying to
build something like this, you realize just how hard it is for normal
developers. Where web developers have thousands of gadgets, papers,
recipies, techniques, API's, and "how-tos", there really isn't anything
great on building a secure MSRPC application. So while it's true that
Microsoft is making the fastest strides in security, it's also true they
have the longest to go.

-dave