Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: University Degree or CISSP

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:36:07 -0800

  I began to work in the software industry in 1976 (co-op in college).
Circumstances intervened, and I began to work full-time in 1979 without
having completed my degree.  By then I had enough experience to get my
foot in the door.
  I was able to complete my degree and finally graduate in 1988, while
still working full time.  My then employer recognized my accomplishment
with a substantial raise and promotion.
  In 1997, I was pushed from software development into IT, networking,
and security.  (I quickly grew to love it, and am not looking to move
back.)  And I embarked on my first certifications, *largely* as a way
to get up to speed and fill in gaps in my knowledge relative to my new
responsibilities.
  Last month, I passed my CISSP.

  Even though I no longer routinely write code, I find my background
and understanding of that world utterly invaluable in my current
situation.

  I think the 3-4 years experience component of the CISSP is *at least*
as valuable to the practitioner as the actual exam knowledge.  An
unusually lucky individual *might* be able to obtain that experience
without a degree, but I'm sure that a better quality of experience
will be easier to acquire with a degree than without.
  So while both should be part of your career plan, I'd say the degree
is the one to start on first.

David Gillett
CISSP CCNP CCSE MCSE A+ (and seriously contemplating CWNA)
(My degree is a ("4-year") Bachelor of Independent Studies, earned for
a thesis applying formal methods to verification of a functional
specification of a communications protocol.)

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus