Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: readnotify.com

From: Saqib Ali <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:39:45 -0800

        IF so isn't that a violation of the computer use and abuse (or however
it's phrased) act?  And IF so why hasn't anyone done anything about 'em?

Are you referring to CFAA (Computer Fraud and Abuse Act) ? If so,
ReadNotify is not voilating anything in CFAA, since they are "NOT
attacking any computer connected to the internet".

        I mean in order for 'em to do some of the things that they claim that they
can do, they'd have to install software on another person's computer
WITHOUT that person's knowledge, or permission.
No software installation required. They are just adding a Javascript
to the email.

        What steps can the average computer user do from home to block 'em?
Use pine (mail reader) and lynx (web browser)

--
Saqib Ali, CISSP
http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus