Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Trend Micro AV

From: Peter Serwe <peter () easytree net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:53:55 -0800

I would think you would find in just about any AV software on the market
an automatic PULLING via tcp/ip, but pushing would require some sort of
server software on everything that would in and of itself be a possible security hole. The typical configuration is to therefore pull updates, using the standard
client side stuff (ftp, fetch, http, whatever).

Pushing is far more of a headache than you want to be responsible for, IMHO.

Peter

bhartiap () gmail com wrote:

Hello,

we are evaluating Trend Micro AV  (NS-2) for our organization. We have 3 servers (1 linux + 2 Win x) and more  than 80
users over a WAN.

I have no recollection of anybody talking about Trend Micro AV in this list.
Can anybody give me feedback on this product. We want AV on server and client, with automatic pushing of updates by the
server to client.

Also, which is advisable, online AV scanning  vis-a-vis periodic scheduled scanning.

thanks and regards
Pankaj

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.
http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus

--
Peter Serwe <peter () easytree net>
Cheaper, faster, better, pick any two.