Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Snort as Firewall (WinXP)

From: "coder" <elite.coder () ntlworld com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 00:48:29 -0000

Hi Neil,

I am currently doing research into this area for my university thesis. Snort
is foremost a lightweight IDS as with any IDS  you are going to get false
positives (Snort requires a lot of tuning to the network environment its
placed in). Where I work snort always gives off an "MTU denial of service"
alert when someone reads their emails, simply because the packets are larger
than the default MTU, now if I had snort running as a firewall and it
blocked these communications, no one can read their email! Likewise if a
false-positive happens over port 80, you loose your web surfing abilities!

Now, someone can correct me if I am wrong here, from what I read as snort
analyses a packet, other packets go by unchecked (in a high traffic area).
So placing snort in a high traffic area would mean a lot of packets would go
unchecked, now I think (and again correct me if I am wrong), even though
there isn't a lot of traffic going to/from your laptop, your laptop would be
focusing its processing power on your tasks. So I think you would have the
same effect again, as your laptop is loading Outlook or something, many
packets will go by unchecked.

My research is focused on writing a client-side firewall (which will be used
in a corporate environment) which can be centrally managed via a web
interface and also interfaces with one or more snort databases. Although
this is for a corporate environment I plan to use it on my own home network
if all goes to plan.

Regards,

Davie