Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: About War Driving ..

From: Gouki <Gouki () GoukiHQ org>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 04:06:27 +0000

"using a portal capture system that requires you to authenticate before
being able to connected to anything but the portal"

These 'portals' are often very easy to bypass. Most of them only filters
HTML traffic, so, by tunneling the traffic to ICMP (which is often a
forgotten protocol) you can use that Access Point (ptunnel, for
instances).

With the amount of good text-based applications (which are more easy to
use with a tunnel) you can use IRC, BitTorrent, IM and even browser (if
you like Lynx (= ).

My point being... WPA with authentication on a Radius server is probably
the best choice.

Regards,

Tiago