Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: About War Driving ..

From: "Dave Moore" <dave.j.moore () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 21:01:52 -0600

I don't know much about wireless, but I know quite a bit about lower
frequency RF.. if you are absolutely intent on catching this guy,
here's what I would try.

1. Get a spectrum analyzer capable of operating >= 2.487 GHz
2. Get a directional antenna or two, likewise in the 2.4GHz band. The
more directional, the better. A multiple (>8) element yagi would be
great.
3. Turn off (i.e. disable radio) every wireless card in your office
except for the AP. If you have multiple APs, just leave one on.
4. Find out what channel your AP operates on. Every channel translates
to a specific frequency. The frequencies are 2.412 GHz to 2.487 GHz.
Each channel is 22 MHz in bandwidth, yet the channel spacing is only 5
MHz. (2.412, 2.417, 2.422, etc.)
5. Tune your spectrum analyzer to the appropriate frequency and attach
directional antenna. Start sweeping it around. You'll get a spike from
your AP, if you get another spike in another direction that might be
the person who is using your network. Or, it might be a cordless
phone, or another network entirely.

I have tracked down illegal/unlicensed transmitters in the past, and
it is very much hit and miss. If you have to do it then you have to do
it, but you've been warned.