Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: About War Driving ..

From: Murad Talukdar <talukdar_m () subway com>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 10:00:50 +1000

Don't use WEP mate-too easy to break these days(which could be why you've
got this problem-or could be someone giving out details of your network to
friends etc).
As for 'catching' him- I wouldn't count on it. I don't know if there are
tools to find the end point of a wireless connection. You can find AP's in
your building using NetStumbler(with GPS) and Kismet.
You could also do a physical scan around the building-you never know-there
might be someone sitting in a car with a laptop! Or it could be an
unauthorized AP that someone has setup. Change the SSID and don't broadcast
it. Use at least WPA and look at Radius and use a long key.(I could be wrong
but I think certain tools can still crack long keys given time-Asleap for
instance).