Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: About War Driving ..

From: "pryorda pryor" <pryordasspam () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 11:56:36 -0700

In my opinion there is no such thing as a secure wireless network.....
What you might want to do is set up not only a vpn, but a network
proxy with user authentication. Also block all ports in your router
make sure that you are using a secure proxy and only allow that one ip
and one mac address threw it. Now this brings along another problem
have you checked your network to make sure no machines are vulnerable
to any exploits.... If so that could make it so he could easily gain
access.

Programs You should try
1) Squid
2) Openvpn

On 12/8/06, Kelly Martin <kel () securityfocus com> wrote:
Brian Loe wrote:
>> I'm not saying I'm an expert here.. but so far in my experience I've
>> never seen an absolute need for DHCP that outweighs the risk of allowing
>> unauthorized PC's to get on your network.  At least make an intruder
>> work for it.
>
> Again, I've never seen the need to NOT run DHCP that outweighed the
> administrative overhead of doing it manually.

Static IPs vs. DHCP is getting off-topic. However for those who are
interested, there was a very long discussion about this very subject
earlier this year. Interested readers can browse the archive,
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/105, or even better, search the
archive by visiting SecurityFocus, clicking search, and selecting
SEC-BASICS from the drop down list.

Regards,
moderator

Detect Malicious Web Content and Exploits in Real-Time.
Anti-Virus engines can't detect unknown or new threats.
LinkScanner can. Web surfing just became a whole lot safer.

http://www.explabs.com/staging/promotions/xern_lspro.asp?loc=sfmaildetect