Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Password Storage

From: Kenton Smith <listsks () yahoo ca>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 14:04:31 -0400 (EDT)

This is the only thing I've found that comes close. It
isn't free but it does allow you to provide role-based
and user-based access.
http://www.argosytelcrest.com/enterprise_password_safe.html

It isn't the simplest to setup and install, but it
works well. I've been playing around with it a bit but
haven't decided whether to buy it yet.

Kenton

--- Doug W <dougiegee () hotmail com> wrote:

Hi Everyone

What do people generally do in the case of password
storage?  For example, I
strongly believe that storing passwords in documents
is a terrible idea as I
am sure you would agree.

However, how do you account for having multiple
support staff, possibly
working off site, most with extremely bad memories
(unfortunately), and in
need of high level rights to fix systems etc.

I also try to enforce that all actions are taken
wtih the users own
privileged account for auditing purposes but when
building machines,
installing software or troubleshooting problems,
service accounts and
administrations accounts may be required.

Or, is this problem more universal than I think and
forcing people to not
document passwords will be an interesting challenge?

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE -
ONLINE
The NSA has designated Norwich University a center
of Academic Excellence
in Information Security. Our program offers
unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched
consulting experience.
Using interactive e-Learning technology, you can
earn this esteemed degree,
without disrupting your career or home life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus