Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Password Storage

From: "Greg Merideth" <gmerideth () ftnj net>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 10:44:06 -0400

For websites and forums I use a program called password safe
[http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/] which stores your pw's in an
encrypted file with a master password to secure.  Given the number of
sites that require registration to perform simple tasks as downloading
bios updates or firmware a program like password safe helps me a great
deal.  There's over five hundred passwords in my pwdb now.

We have a custom app that requires two passwords entered [from two
different users] to access passwords for our servers and customers
servers.  Double encrypting a file with passwords would do the same
thing.  [think of it like the two air force officers turning two keys
to launch missiles].