Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Password Storage

From: "Needs More Longcat" <rev.ka.fox () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 10:20:20 -0700

On 2 Aug 2006 11:36:21 -0000, c.brace () lamp ac uk <c.brace () lamp ac uk> wrote:
Doug

It all depends on the strength of the passwords that you are using, it's a fine balance between providing passwords
that are strong enough to be effective, simple enough to be remembered by your users.

I'm not sure where you are going with this. The idea is "do we keep
passwords on file?" & more importantly, "How?"

No matter how simple your passwords are, you will have some users who will insist on writing their passwords down somewhere
(Check desks, under keyboards, in their top drawer, on their whiteboard, in the pile of post it notes stuck to the side of
their monitor) let's face it the only way that we are going to stop some users from writing them down is to cut off
their hands.

The reason so many write information like this down is due to
remembering (whether you "can't" or "won't" is another issue). If a
user chooses not to write down their password, and still forgets,
issuing a new password doesn't work for all scenarios. Not to rehash
the aforementioned, comatose admin scenario, but the problem is real.

probably the best thing to do is to escalate the privaliges for their accounts as and when they are required. (OK this
is slightly more admin work, but having those servers constantly available sounds like a bad idea)

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic Excellence
in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Using interactive e-Learning technology, you can earn this esteemed degree,
without disrupting your career or home life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus

--

"A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need
the advice."