Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Password Storage

From: PCSC Information Services <info () pcsage biz>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 20:52:05 -0400

Hi Doug,
Have you considered a certificate based authentication mechanism?

http://www.utexas.edu/its/unix/reference/oracledocs/v92/B10501_01/ network.920/a96582/pki.htm (Google is your friend)

has some insights into the use and deployment of PKI for authentication. Passwords are 'the weakest link' in the security chain and if you're in a position to influence or write policy it is a highly recommended method for authentication. Furthermore if you are keen to store different certificates for different users you might consider LDAP, as is mentioned in the linked document. This is by no means the most comprehensive site for PKI but you might consider this approach if you find that your organization needs to protect itself from lost passwords. With this methodology, you could also enable a single sign-on mechanism thereby eliminating the need for users to require multiple passwords, and worse, remembering multiple passwords.

Sean Swayze
swayze AT pcsage DOT biz

Try? There is no try. Do or do not! - Yoda