Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RE: Password Storage

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: 2 Aug 2006 18:59:52 -0000

I also recommend PasswordSafe to store passwords.

My previous job put me on a team of geographically dispered admins. Having a central store was not the best option for
us.

Instead, we distributed passwords either over the phone or in PGP-encrypted emails. Some admins were at home, so they
stored things however they wanted to, but most of us used PasswordSafe on our own systems to keep an encrypted store.
You can then back up your own database file on a central fileserver or just to a cd or something if you'd like. I
usually had a copy on a thumbdrive (alone with the installer for PasswordSafe) so that I could access it at home.

I shouldn't even address it, as it can easily hijack the thread, but password complexity and password vs single sign-on
are definitely very arguable topics. If you want to see how divided security people are about password security, just
throw those on the discussion table. :)  Suffice to say there is no one recommended way to do it, and no silver bullet
method that beats the others. It's all one big game of paper/rock/scissors, depending on your environment.

Just to mention, even re-using one complex password for many things is dangerous. In this case, you need to absolutely
trust every instance that password is used. I will tell you that if I get into a system/network and glean a password,
it gets added to the top of my dictionary list for any other attempts on similar systems or other devices in a
corporate network. Little falls faster than widely shared passwords.