Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless Security

From: "Herman Frederick Ebeling, Jr." <hfebelingjr () lycos com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:17:20 -0400

Todd,

    On a) I've gotta agree with ya.  As for b) I meant neighbors a) & b)
illegally access Person A's Wi-Fi network, and
neighbor b) goes into neighbor a's computer and reads files/MSGs and/or deletes
same.  Is person A) liable for the
damage that neighbor b) causes to neighbor a's computer?  I would think that
neighbor b) is solely responsible for the
damage that they cause to neighbor a's computer.  I mean let's look at the
"early days" of the cable/DSL modems where
neighbors could see on another's computers on their "LAN."  That doesn't mean
that the company that supplied the high
speed access were responsible for securing ALL of their customers boxes does it?
It was up to each customer to secure
their own box, correct?

    As for C) I would think that as long as they weren't deleting any files,
planting any virus' or Trojan Horse' and
were just investigating those who were attached to his/her network so that they
could find them and lock them out that
that would/should be allowed.  On D) I have to agree with ya, IF one doesn't
have proper anti-virus protection in place
then it is not the fault of the person who setup the Wi-Fi network to protect
the leaches boxes.  On E) I agree that
there is no expectation of privacy for the leaches, and I would think that the
owner of the Wi-Fi network would be the
"owner" of any and all packets sent through their equipment/network.  And that
as with C) they would be justified in
doing so, so as to locate who all is illegally on their network.

Herman