Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wireless Security

From: xyberpix <xyberpix () xyberpix com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 08:29:22 +0100

Hi Herman,

Please see below:

On 12 Oct 2005, at 20:17, Herman Frederick Ebeling, Jr. wrote:

I've got a question (actually a few) along these lines. Let's say that a person
has a Wi-Fi network setup at home.
And they find out that some of their neighbors have accessed it.

A) What if any obligation to the neighbors does the person who initially setup
the Wi-Fi network have?

None at all

B) What happens IF one neighbor goes in and reads/deletes msgs/ files from
another neighbor's computer is the person who
initially setup the Wi-Fi network for their own use liable?

Yes and no, if it was an open network, no WEP(bleh)/WPA, then you may hard pushed to lay charges. If it was secured in any way, and you never gave your neighbor the key/passphrase, then it's illegal for him to join your network.

C) Can the person who initially setup the Wi-Fi network legally go in and look
around his/her neighbors computers?

No, not at all, that's illegal.

D) What if one the neighbors get a virus, is the person who initially setup the
Wi-Fi network liable?

No, not at all, unless of course you are charging your neighbor for access to the wireless, as then their may be some issues, not to sure though.
But I can't see why you would be liable here.

E) What if any expectations to privacy do the unauthorized users have?

They are unauthorized users, none. It would kinda be like you hacking a box at microsoft.com, and then sueing them because you got a virus from their box, it wouldn't happen.
If you were unauthorized to do be on the network, you have no rights.

HTH

xyberpix

Herman