Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless Security

From: "Herman Frederick Ebeling, Jr." <hfebelingjr () lycos com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 23:01:36 -0400

G. Allen,

        Using your analogy of someone putting their outgoing snail mail into "your"
mailbox and how their return address is
personal information that they've released into the public.  Then couldn't a
person (or their lawyer) who has had their
wireless network (or even a wired network) hacked make the same claim about the
information that their computer is
providing to Windows explorer?

        I mean we all know that there is a certain amount of information that can be
gleaned from a computer hooked to the
network without actually opening said computer.

        And as I am sure as we all know now all "hackers" are bad.  As we would not
have a lot of the admin/security tools
that we now enjoy IF it weren't for "hackers."  Nor would people know about the
security problems that are present in
some systems/software.  But sadly the media (at present) "likes" to call anyone
and everyone who commits a crime with a
computer a "hacker" whether they are or not.  All that matters to the media is
that a crime was committed and that a
computer was used to commit that crime, so ergo the person who committed said
crime "MUST" be a "hacker. . ."

        I mean using the way the media uses the term hacker the dumpster diver who
compiles a database of names and CC numbers
and mail order catalogs that they've ordered from is also a "hacker."  Even
though s/he could do the same thing with a
notebook and a pen/pencil. . .

        Using your own analogy admin/security tools are just admin/security tools until
someone uses them to gain unauthorized
access to a computer that they wouldn't normally have access to. . .  Correct?

Herman