Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless Security

From: "Herman Frederick Ebeling, Jr." <hfebelingjr () lycos com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 00:57:46 -0400

- -----Original Message-----
From: TIm Ireland [mailto:tim.ir3land () gmail com]
Sent: Friday, 14 October, 2005 00:04
To: hfebelingjr () lycos com
Subject: Re: Wireless Security

Herman Frederick Ebeling, Jr. wrote:

I've got a question (actually a few) along these lines.  Let's say
that a person
has a Wi-Fi network setup at home.
And they find out that some of their neighbors have accessed it.

A)    What if any obligation to the neighbors does the person who
initially setup
the Wi-Fi network have?
B)    What happens IF one neighbor goes in and reads/deletes
msgs/files from
another neighbor's computer is the person who
initially setup the Wi-Fi network for their own use liable?
C)    Can the person who initially setup the Wi-Fi network legally go
in and look
around his/her neighbors computers?
D)    What if one the neighbors get a virus, is the person who
initially setup the
Wi-Fi network liable?
E)    What if any expectations to privacy do the unauthorized users have?

A. none
B. yes

====>   Why?  IF they've illegally attached themselves to someone else's network
and haven't taken measures to secure
their own box aren't they and the person who hacked their box responsible?  How
is the owner of the compromised network
liable?  I mean it isn't his/her fault that neighbor a) hacked neighbor b)
computer.  If anything the person who setup
the network would be just as much (if not more so) a victim of neighbor b).

C. no
D. yes

====>   IF that is so, then aren't ALL of the ISPs likewise liable for any and all
virus' that their subscribers get,
while attached to the ISPs network?  Isn't/shouldn't it be up to each individual
to make sure that they have some form
of anti-virus PRG running in the background on their computer(s)?

E. none

Herman