Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Learning Network Security Basics

From: Cory Stoker <cory () clearnetsec com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 18:12:47 -0600

First you need to ask yourself what exactly in security do you want to do? As I have said before security does not exist by itself, you secure something. So with that in mind the foundation for security should start with the stuff you want to secure. A real world example would be people who make cars more safe must first understand the car in general and then understand what weaknesses a car would have in a car wreck before they could go about designing and implementing security for the cars passengers.

For example to understand how an OS exploit works you should understand how the OS works and the computer architecture under it. Only then can you "secure" the asset in question.

I hope this helps you in your goal.

---
Cory Stoker
ClearNet Security