Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: chat logs - moderator's note

From: Kelly Martin <kel () securityfocus com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 11:59:15 -0400

Could everyone please try to remain on topic with this thread? I approved this message thread because Melissa had emailed me directly looking for help, and after reading the news article about the bomb threats and school closures, with a possible link to IM logs, I suggested she send her message to this list for help.

I'd like to keep messages on the subject of information security, and allow for *some* crossover into computer privacy issues. However, I have been returning a large number of posts because they are straying very much off-topic. I did not approve the thread because I thought there is great opportunity for ethical or moral debate; I approved the thread because Melissa was looking for help and for specific steps to investigate chat logs and protect the safety of their town's CHILDREN.

Please remember most of the affected people are elementary and junior-high level children, not adults, and so many of your debates about privacy come down to a parent's discretion anyway - at least under the guise of the law in North America and most other parts of the world.

Regards,
moderator