Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: chat logs

From: Dave Aronson <sfbasics2dave () davearonson com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 19:04:29 -0400

"Beauford, Jason" <jbeauford () EightInOnePet com> wrote:

The below
mentioned response states that we "are all overreacting" and that
"this type of action might be warranted had an actual bomb been
found, or went off."  This is TOTALLY the wrong attitude.  "Anyone
remember J Edgar Hoover?", what is this about? Anyone remember
COLUMBINE or 9/11.

Yes, we do.  What would you like to point out as having been done, in
reaction to either of those events, that would help one iota to prevent
a repeat?  You MIGHT be able to find an example or three, but it will
make up, I am fairly sure, less than a percent of all the overreaction
for which we have sacrificed not only many of our tax dollars but also
much of our even more precious freedom.

Don't just act, from a gut reaction of "OH MY GOD, WE HAVE TO DO
***SOMETHING***!!!"  Think first.  Think about what the threats are that
you are trying to counter, whether the measures will be effective, and
what side effects they will have.  That is a REAL "security basic".
Otherwise, you risk starring on http://www.stupidsecurity.com/ (a site I
highly recommend to anyone involved in any way with security).

That said, though, many of us DO agree on the point that parents have
every right to poke around on the computers they bought for their minor
children living with them.  The government is a whole 'nother story,
whether it's the computer of a child or adult, and we just want to put a
fence around that slippery slope.  (There's supposed to BE a fence
already, called the Fourth Amendment, at least here in the USA, but....)

-Dave