Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Best spyware program

From: "John D. Patota" <jpatota () ccs neu edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:25:43 -0400

VMware or something like it would be your best friend in these situations. It allows you to create a virtual image of windows, mess with it all you want, then restore it to an original condition in seconds.

I would start out with a perfectly clean copy of your OS. Visit http://sysinternals.com/ for the following software: Regmon, Filemon, Autoruns and Process Explorer. These are great utilities for reverse engineering software and seeing exactly what happens when you install.

If your worried about downloading spyware scanners which do more harm then good, I would stick to the most common scanners like MAS, Spybot, Adaware and the like.

John

Bapodara, Shyamal wrote:
Hello Team
I do like to test different so called "free"  software available online.
What is the best to test if they don't have any spyware in it once it is
installed?
What will be the best way to test these with out compromising my system?
Thanks
Shyamal

This e-mail is intended to be delivered only to the named addressee(s) and
delete the transmitted material from your computer and server.  In no event
shall this material be read, used, stored, or retained by anyone other than
the named addressee(s) without the express written consent of the sender or
the named addressee(s).