Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: how to block ALL AIM traffic ?

From: "Mark Cyprus" <Mark.Cyprus () paracominc com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:46:50 -0500

Hi,

The only way I know is Websense Enterprise Manager running in network sniffing mode.  Though Websense was originally
designed as a solution to block URLs, if you run it in network sniffing mode (and not as a firewall CVP) it also blocks
protocols by signatures, not port. It works very well, we have no problems with it.

/boot <Slashboot () gmail com> 04/27/05 05:01PM >>>
Hello

Realized Mofo wrote:
BUT AOL seems to have found a great way around this and has 4000+
diffrent ports they use and i'd assume lots of diffrent hosts.

Whats the best way of blocking all AIM traffic ?

You deny all outgoing connections, then you accept only outgoing
connections to the ports that you enable in your firewall config (http,
ftp, ssh ?). But, I think that people can continue using AIMs with http
only (there are some web sites giving this kind of service for free like
http://www.e-messenger.net/). A host based firewall rule should handle
that! Remember also that if you are opening ssh access, people can use
ssh tunneling and bypass firewall rules.

--
/boot