Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: how to block ALL AIM traffic ?

From: Ramon Kagan <rkagan () yorku ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 08:17:10 -0400 (EDT)

HI,

I don't have AIM traffic on my network right now... but what I would do it
conduct a tcpdump, full packet capture (-s 0) for port 5190 traffic.  Then
I would inspect the payload for a pattern.  Once I have a pattern write a
filter/signature based on it to conduct the packet drop.

I was hoping to give you a signature or pattern, but we seem to be AIM
free here.

Ramon Kagan
York University, Computing and Network Services
Information Security  -  Senior Information Security Analyst
(416)736-2100 #20263
rkagan () yorku ca

I have not failed.  I have just        I don't know the secret to success,
found 10,000 ways that don't work.     but the secret to failure is
                                       trying to please everybody.
        - Thomas Edison                         - Bill Cosby