Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: how to block ALL AIM traffic ?

From: "Joe Kanser" <jkanser () corpam org>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:37:44 -0500

All,
   There are several ways to block application traffic.  First, and easiest
is to create a policy stipulating acceptable, and abuse, of corporate
resources.  Once in place and sent to all corporate users, they must comply
or seek employment elsewhere.  Another would be to lock down administrative
rights so that "joe user" cannot install software at their whim.  The final
task would be to install third party software such as Cisco Security Agent,
which is a host based IDS system that can block installation and transmission
of software, or Altiris, which is a systems management tool in which you can
set up "blocked" software apps and it will summarily delete those if
installed.  You have lots of options, my best advice would be to lock the
systems down so that your users cannot install software.  That will save you
a lot of future headaches as well.

Joe Kanser