Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: how to block ALL AIM traffic ?

From: "Evan Littmann" <evan () 2-roads net>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:11:55 -0700

Best way? I'm not sure, but an application layer firewall would work nicely.

If you are already running Squid, this might be of interest to you. You can
probably ignore most of it since you only want to block AIM.

http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200407/0210.html

I don't really know of any other way to do it without causing hassles.
Reactive firewall rules that stop all outbound traffic from a client for a
set period of time once that client tries to access 5190 is the first thing
that comes to mind, which might help you deal with the larger problem by
logging the evidence.