Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: how to block ALL AIM traffic ?

From: Mark Owen <mr.markowen () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:43:29 -0400

It really is difficult to block any popular instant messenger due to
the number of servers available for them.

Block all out going connections to login.oscar.aol.com should
eliminate most of the problems as that is where AIM users are
authenticated.
If need be, block all connections to *.aol.com in case AOL has
alternate locations to login on their servers.  No one should have to
connect to aol.com from work for work related matters.  As the user's
find more ways around it (like e-messenger.net or aim express at
aim.com) block them as you notice them.

In a case like this, I highly recommend investing in an application
layer firewall (a special config linux box would work)  to monitor
connections for AIM traffic but even then the users can overcome that
with HTTport3.snf[1] and Socks2HTTP[2].

When it all comes down to it, block and log all known attempts and
discipline repeat offenders.

[1]  http://www.networkingfiles.com/Firewalls/HTTPort.htm
[2]  http://www.totalrc.net/s2h/index.jsp