Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: how to block ALL AIM traffic ?

From: /boot <Slashboot () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 00:01:19 +0200

Hello

Realized Mofo wrote:
> BUT AOL seems to have found a great way around this and has 4000+
> diffrent ports they use and i'd assume lots of diffrent hosts.
>

> Whats the best way of blocking all AIM traffic ?

You deny all outgoing connections, then you accept only outgoing connections to the ports that you enable in your firewall config (http, ftp, ssh ?). But, I think that people can continue using AIMs with http only (there are some web sites giving this kind of service for free like http://www.e-messenger.net/). A host based firewall rule should handle that! Remember also that if you are opening ssh access, people can use ssh tunneling and bypass firewall rules.

--
/boot