Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Mobile Users and Firewalls - best practices?

From: "Brunner, Mark" <MBrunner () tor fasken com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:19:17 -0400

Hi Lisa,

Laptops and notebooks are a real problem.  In my opinion, they should be treated as foreign systems as soon as they
leave the relative safety of your firewall.  They may have a hardware firewall at home, but it probably cost $50, and
gives them $50 worth of protection.  They may or may not connect to another network at some point, perhaps a client's
network, or a friend's wireless, who knows?

If the firewall can be turned off, it probably will be at some point.  Not good.  Something will be blocked that they
just HAVE to see.  They will download something, open or install it, and wham-bam-thank-you-maam, they now have the
latest and greatest remote access Trojan on the system.  It may not be evident to the user, and of course the next
morning, they plug into your network, behind the firewall.  The RAT makes an outbound call, so the hardware firewall
allows it to communicate with the bot-net or remote host.  Ahhh, sweet to have authenticated Domain access, no need to
hack around for passwords...  Of course, there is always the joy of worms and other malware that may circulate around
your LAN/WAN, causing general turmoil and confusion.

Any software firewall is better than none.  For corporate use, it should provide:
1) Ingress and Egress monitoring/filtering (NOT SP2's "firewall")
2) A standard rule-set that reduces the need for the user to allow or deny access requests.  (Chances are they will
ALWAYS say yes!)
3) Constant updates to signature files and standard rules.
4) A central management console to ease administrative burden.

Nice to have are IDS, malware ID, etc.

Just my 2ยข

Mark Brunner
Security Manager
Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP

This communication is solicitor/client privileged and contains confidential information intended only for the person(s)
to whom it is addressed. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, other distribution of this communication or taking any
action on its contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately
and delete this message without reading, copying or forwarding it to anyone.