Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hard Drive data security

From: Andrew Prince <freddyboomboom () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 23:17:54 -0700

You can use any of the many "Live *nix" CD's out in internetland to
boot the 'puter, mount a samba or nfs share, dd the original drive to
a file on the share, then use dd or another "wipe" type utility on the
cd to erase the drive.

http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-knopx.html

are the first two links from a google of drive recovery knoppix...

There are also live cds based on BSD (FreeBSD I believe) that are
forensics oriented that you could probably do this with, if you're
into BSD.

Check out http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php and
http://www.linux-forensics.com/links.html

TTFN
Andy-roo

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 10:02:45 +0800, Leong Kok Wah Kenneth