Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hard Drive data security

From: xyberpix <xyberpix () xyberpix com>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 10:06:00 +0100

In the past I have always used dd on this one, you will need access to
Linux, or a bootable linux distro, any of them will do, knoppix, phlak,
mini-slack, etc.
Then run:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null

check the syntax by using man dd as I may have it backwards, but it'll
wipe it for you. I've known a couple of SysAd's who've done this by
accident on a live system in the past, and it wipes everything really
well.

xyberpix