Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Hard Drive data security

From: "Leong Kok Wah Kenneth" <LeongKWKenneth () ocbc com sg>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 10:17:44 +0800

Hi, guys.

May I join in the discussion?

I have heard many people suggesting using hdd wiping program to
permanently 'wash' the hdd until the data was unrecoverable.  But
questions are - 1. where do we get 'free' disk wiping program from the
net?
      2. what assurance that it will do a good job using the 'free' disk
wiping program as they are compared commerical licensed ones?

      3. Without using any hdd wiping s/w, has anyone try this method
before and confirmed that they are not able to recover data of the
         1st set original set. (ie leaving the 1st original data intact,
use ghost image or any other imaging s/w and restore any data
         image into the hdd. Next, use the fdisk and then re-format the
hdd. Now, use any recovery software (any eg) tools and test to see
         if the recovered data belonging to the currently restored data
(ie the imaged data) or the 1st original data?

kenneth