Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Simple Question ...

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 04:33:24 +0100

On 2004-01-05 Meidinger Chris wrote:
To all the people who:

can't think of a reason to chose FAT over NTFS.

or who:

usually recommend a separate FAT32 partition for data exchange

For some (many!) of us that have windows and linux on the same system,
and really do want to be able to access the same partition from both
operating systems for whatever reasons, fat is the perfect choice.

I already said that in the sentence from which you took the latter quote
(though I don't agree on the "perfect choice").

on my own workstation machines*, i don't really care about ACL's.
obviously fat would be a terrible choice for a file server, but it's
just fine for a single-user workstation.

I don't think so. I am using the setup I suggested on my notebook for
almost two years now, and I got along pretty well. Usually read-access
to the data is sufficient for me, so NTFS isn't a problem, even when
using Linux. On the rare occasions I have to transfer data from Linux to
Windows, I use the trasfer partition (1 GB).

If i secured my own computer so poorly that NTFS ACL's are my last
line of defense, then i don't think it really matters which NT users
have access to what, my attacker is likely to be admin or local-system
anyway.

They are another line of defense, so why avoid them if you can have
them? What's the point?

Just a small point, because i was kind of annoyed by all the
fat-bashing.

Be annoyed of it all you like, it doesn't make it less deserved.

keep it simple, and less can go wrong.

NTFS is not *that* complicated, and avoiding an extra level of security
is not simple, it's stupid. What IYHO can go wrong with using NTFS?

*i've got 3 workstations on my desk all doing different duty between 3
different networks. each has a win/lin dual boot. now, i almost never
boot into windows, but in the rare event that it would become
necessary it would be a huge pain to: 1) discover i need a file from a
linux partition 2) stop what i am doing and boot into linux 3) copy
that file to the fat transfer-partition 4) reboot into windows 5) use
the file 6) discover that i need one more file 7) return to step 1 ...

I don't know what Linux filesystem you are using on those workstations,
but for ext2/3 that's plain wrong. On the rare occasions I run into a
situation like that, I use explore2fs [1] to read files from Linux
partitions.

[1] http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!