Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Simple Question ...

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 20:48:59 +0100

On 2004-01-01 Adam Hawliczek wrote:
Can I encrypt a FAT32 partiton running over XP ?

Not by using EFS, if that's your question. Maybe by using third-party
tools like BestCrypt [1] or PGPdisk [2].

I know that i can do this when i'm using NTFS but i prefered FAT and now i
think i could have a problem ..

Trust me, you do not prefer FAT. Having a filesystem that is writable
from Linux as well as from Windows is the only reason for using FAT I
can think of, but if one needs to do that, I usually recommend a
separate FAT32 partition for data exchange. Other reasons simply do not
exist since FAT doesn't have a single one of the goodies NTFS provides
(compression, encryption, ACLs, less fragmentation, journalling,
streams, less limitations on file and partition sizes, a.s.o.).

[1] http://www.jetico.com/
[2] http://www.pgpi.org/products/pgpdisk/

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers