Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Simple Question ...

From: Meidinger Chris <chris.meidinger () badenit de>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:28:51 +0100

To all the people who:

can't think of a reason to chose FAT over NTFS.

or who:

usually recommend a separate FAT32 partition for data exchange

For some (many!) of us that have windows and linux on the same system, and
really do want to be able to access the same partition from both operating
systems for whatever reasons, fat is the perfect choice. on my own
workstation machines*, i don't really care about ACL's. obviously fat would
be a terrible choice for a file server, but it's just fine for a single-user
workstation.

If i secured my own computer so poorly that NTFS ACL's are my last line of
defense, then i don't think it really matters which NT users have access to
what, my attacker is likely to be admin or local-system anyway.

Just a small point, because i was kind of annoyed by all the fat-bashing.

keep it simple, and less can go wrong.

Adam: as far as your question: you will have to use some other encryption
software. Remember that you can also do this by hand. on linux you can
compile (for example) aes, and then use the command:
#aes -e -p $PASSWORD -f $FILE to encrypt, and switch -e and -d to decrypt a
file. this is probably possible in windows too.

-chris

*i've got 3 workstations on my desk all doing different duty between 3
different networks. each has a win/lin dual boot. now, i almost never boot
into windows, but in the rare event that it would become necessary it would
be a huge pain to: 1) discover i need a file from a linux partition 2) stop
what i am doing and boot into linux 3) copy that file to the fat
transfer-partition 4) reboot into windows 5) use the file 6) discover that i
need one more file 7) return to step 1 ...