Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: XP password and encryption

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 12:47:24 -0800

1)  I think this has pretty much been covered.  Pro is that you're
protected from inherent flaws in NTLM.  Con is that you're protected
from communicating with machines that still have to rely on NTLM.

2)  The normal way to configure this is to set servers to require
it of all clients, and clients to use it whenever connecting to a
server that permits it -- this allows clients to still talk to
legacy servers as necessary.
  In transport mode, IPSEC encrypts the contents of packets, but
not the layer 3 headers.  If your original concern was about
someone sniffing an exchange of hashes, this would both additionally
secure them, and submerge them in a mass of encrypted traffic where
picking out the packets of interest would be more challenging.

3)  It's not.  Assigning IP addresses is going to be up to whoever
provides the network routers, and those would have to both (a)
support IPv6, and (b) be configured to use it.  Of course, most
won't bother until they can safely assume that the critical mass
of client hosts also support it -- including it in XP helps bring
that day a little closer.

David Gillett