Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: XP password and encryption

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 16:29:11 -0800

  I believe I've heard that there are conditions under which it only
functions as a single 7-character password.  I may have misunderstood;
the point may have been that this behaviour theoretically allows you
to crack the first half of the password on one box while a second
box in parallel tackles the second half, so that the total crack time
is the same as if a single 7-character password was used.

1)  No.  Any characters you supply beyond 15 will be ignored.  (And
see above -- an attacker with access to two machines might easily
have access to three....)

2)  If you're running XP, you may have the option of turning off NTLM
(depending on the presence of legacy equipment...).  Recommended
wherever possible.  Note that you also have the option of requiring
IPSEC encryption of all local client/server traffic, and this too
is a good thing.

3/a/b)  Check out Kerberos; it might be able to do what you want.

David Gillett