Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: XP password and encryption

From: "Nero, Nick" <Nick.Nero () disney com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 12:31:54 -0500

I think this is a common misconception.  This flaw in the password
storage was indeed there but only in the older LAN Manager days.  Since
Windows NT 4 (I can't remember if it was part of the SP2 upgrade to
NTLMv2 or not), MS OS's have used a much more complex password storage
scheme.

From the MS Press Windows 2000 Security Technical Reference (p.31):

"LAN Manager-
The password is effectively 2 x 7 character strings represented by 2 x 8
byte DES encrypted values.   Each can be attacked indepenently; each is
limited to the original equipment manufacturer character set; and none
are case-sensitive.
        * Possible characters = 36 (numbers and letters)
        * 7-character password = 2 x 36^7 = 2 x 78 Billion combinations

Windows NT -
The password is a single 16-byte digest of a variable-length string
(effectively limited to 14 characters), computed using the RSA MD-4
encryption algorithm. Windows NT passwords are case-sensitive  and can
be a mix of upper/lowercase characters, numbers, and punctuation.
        * Possible characters = 96 (uppers/lowercase characters,
numbers, and 34 punctuation)
        * 14 character password = 96^14 = 5 billion billion billion
combinations"

Oddly enough there is no mention in this technical reference about the
strength of Windows 2000 passwords stored for local authentication (all
domain passwords in a 2k domain use Kerberos which is practically
impossible to attack using man in the middle of brute forcing without
local access to the Domain Controller).  This
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/secu
rity/prodtech/win2000/win2khg/03osinstl.asp) article describes the hash
a bit.  2k can support a maximum of 127 character password.  The hash is
a one-way (non-reversible encryption) of variable size.  Basically, to
brute force it there are really no shortcuts.  You cannot derive the
length of the password from the hash and there are no shortcuts.  That
is assuming of course you already have administrator access to the
machine since only the Admin (or SYSTEM account) can apply the SYSKEY
(which is on by default in 2k/XP) to actually decrypt the SAM (128bit
RC4) and read the hashes.  If you fire up LC4 you will find that even
with a moderately secure password with any ALT characters or other
symbols (@,#,$,%,&, . .) it can take forever to bruteforce.  It is far
easier to get local access to the machine, boot to an NTFS boot disk and
simply overwrite the SAM with a known one.  As recent as Solaris 8,
there were only 8 characters in the password that were encrypted in any
significant way.  And that is not by default even.

To be thorough, I should mention this article:
http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-7297_16-4208088.html.  Theoretically
you can crack passwords faster but I still doubt anyone could get
through a reasonably complex password without extended access to the
local SAM.  And let's face it, if someone has Admin privileges and
extended physical access to your box you already screwed up somewhere
and it is only a matter of time.

Nick Nero
CISSP, MCSE, MCSA, CCNA