Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: XP password and encryption

From: "J. Yoon" <supercool9000 () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 07:28:21 -0500

1) What are the pro's and con's of turning off NTLM on my XP box?

2) Aside from the obvious, what does IPSEC encryption do to make things more secure? For example, which layers does this protocol work at and could it ever interfere with any existing settings/applications due to backward compatibility issues?

3) IPv6's supposedly the solution to the "running out of IP addresses problem". Sorry if this is a dumb Q, but if the job of assigning IP addy's is upto the authorities... how exactly is IPv6 configurable / useful to avg joe users like you and me... For example, I think I saw references to IPv6 within XP control-panel / network settings
what exactly can we do with it?

Note that you also have the option of requiring
IPSEC encryption of all local client/server traffic, and this too is a good thing.

3/a/b)  Check out Kerberos; it might be able to do what you want.

Take advantage of our limited-time introductory offer for dial-up Internet access. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less. We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention, and many other technical hands on courses. Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off any course! ----------------------------------------------------------------------------