Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: XP password and encryption

From: Kenneth Buchanan <K.Buchanan () Kastenchase com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 09:41:58 -0500

The answer is... it depends.

NTLM and NTLMv2 both use the full 14-byte password (truncated, if you enter
something longer).  They hash it to a 16-byte value and work with that.  The
7+7 byte problem is a symptom of LanManager (LM) authentication...

*BUT* LM is still used.  Modern Windows workstations still have to support
it when communicating with older servers, for instance.  And for some
(unknown to me) reason, they store the LM digest in the local SAM by
default.  So if someone gets access to your computer's SAM, they will almost
certainly be able to crack your password.  Unless you disable it:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q147/7/06.asp

I think Windows Server 2003 is the first Windows OS to actually use >14 byte
passwords.

1) Don't use more than 14 bytes.

2) MINIMUM 8 bytes. 8-10 is okay as long as you choose good passwords.
There are mnemonic tricks for generating good passwords.

3) The best way is to try to restrict access to the SAM.  If you are worried
about someone getting physical access to your computer then you may look at
getting a media encryptor for your hard disk.

You'd have to look into this, but I think there might be a way to store
password information on a floppy disk that you would then require for login.