Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: A reminder that security is not inherently solvable with technology

From: "Jeremiah Powell" <jdpowell () compgeo com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 18:33:31 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Peppard [mailto:mpeppard () impole com]
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 12:02 PM
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: A reminder that security is not inherently solvable
withtechnology

Offshore business-process-outsourcing sales will leap 38% this
year to $1.8 billion
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=15306236

With this type of money riding on outsourcing there are
substantial incentives to

<SNIP>

"put" the controls in, who puts the controls on us?
Hippocratic oaths?

As an interesting note, part of my time with the University of Oklahoma's
Student support team involved crafting my own, personal 'IT Hippocratic
oath.'  While some may find it cheesy (along the lines of 'vision
statements' and 'executive team-building retreats') I belive that the values
the IT team were trying to instill have an effect. If only to get you to
think about this stuff (security, rights and responsibility, policy) in
between configuring your dual-firewall frontier system with DMZ.

Things like having people craft an oath are cheap and may have use. If they
can only give the correct bias to thinking about users and coping with their
problems, then these 'social solutions' (like the Medical Hippocratic Oath)
can be very effective. I cann't overestimate the value of oaths and
statements in security policies. When done to reflect the real world, they
convey the critical missing element in so many security systems, namely
'why.'

My oath is attached to this message.  It has been years since I first wrote
it, but it (only verion 1.1) still expresses my ideas about what IT should
be.  Hopefully it will continue to serve me, as should yours serve your if
you write one.

Now if I could only find that url about 'how to manage your manager' again,
I could get some financial support behind this...

Sincerely,

Jeremiah D. Powell
Systems Admin, Computational Geosciences
Voice (405) 360-0472 / Fax (405) 307-0866
330 W Gray Suite 500; Norman, Ok 73069

Visual & Easy-to-use are not words that you think of when talking about
network analyzers. Are you sick of the three window text decodes? Download ClearSight Network's Analyzer and see a new
network analysis tool that
makes the complex - easy
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ClearSightNetworks_security-basics_031021