Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: A reminder that security is not inherently solvable with technology

From: Paul O'Malley <ompaul () eircom net>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 08:28:08 +0100

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 18:14, Kamal Habayeb wrote:
JGrimshaw () ASAP com wrote:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2003/10/22/MNGCO2FN8G1.DTL

This article was posted on Slashdot today...

Does anyone else see the potential abuse of off shoring jobs that may
contain sensitive customer information?  As this idea spreads, it could
become the "hostage taking" of the new millennium.  No longer would one
need to kidnap a person in South America and hold them for ransom, its
much easier to obtain a job that gives access to sensitive information
and then threaten to publicize the information if not paid.  We need to
take steps to keep our jobs and our information secure.

This has been documented since security began. The argument may not have
been so obvious in its phrasing but it is this:
Given the concept of a system of least privilege, was it appropriate to
outsource the data processing needs of the organisation in pursuit of
lower costs (read share holder value) and risk the whole organisation on
a single or multiple acts of hostage taking?

You do not have data protection when a case such as this occurs.

What would be very interesting to know is does the company to whom the
Joe Citizen entrusted their personal data have a DRP (Disaster recovery
plan) for this case?
I suppose they don't see it as their issue but one for their contractor
who sees it for their contractor etc.

In a case such as this one can sue anyone one wishes to, however if
customers feel aggrieved they will leave in their thousands and the
company in question may not have need for its existing employees or
board of directors.

I wonder if it was documented in the risk assessment and management part
of the consideration to outsource.

Best regards,

Paul O'Malley

Visual & Easy-to-use are not words that you think of when talking about
network analyzers. Are you sick of the three window text decodes? Download ClearSight Network's Analyzer and see a new
network analysis tool that
makes the complex - easy
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ClearSightNetworks_security-basics_031021